Monday, August 24, 2015

The Changes Cha-Cha-Cha

Today I'm excited because I started my 32rd year in public education. I also started a new job at a school that's new to me, working with students at a different age and stage than I'm used to. And I got my new laptop today. You could say that I've stepped out of my comfort zone a bit whole bunch. 
Sing it with me: Ch-ch-ch Changes


Taking my new ukulele to school today felt like a pretty big leap of faith. So did wearing the grass skirt (that my friend Annie gave me last May) over my new outfit. Would I be able to play the chords fluidly enough? Would the kids think it was cool? Would they recognize the song and {gasp} maybe even sing along?

It was yesterday morning after church that I decided on The Lava Song, a Pixar Short that played before Inside Out at a theater near you this summer. I started the repetition I'd need for the muscle memory to pull me along and varied the words slightly to make it a welcome-back tune. Then this morning, I watched for third graders (my comfort zone kids) whom I could serenade.


I'm happy to report that I survived the jump. Welcoming students to Bales with a song was a total blast and well worth the blisters on my finger tips and my thumb. Here's a clip that one of the moms caught and graciously shared:



So this year, I'm making it my mission to embrace the Changes Cha-Cha-Cha and dance it fervently, with energy, passion, and grace. Care to join me?


Time now to work up my next song:
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine ...