Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Got Slides?

Click on the picture to see a larger view. 



My husband inherited a whole box of old slides when his father passed away and I nominated myself to scan them since I have a good scanner. But then what to do with them once they are scanned? I had seen this actual project years ago but never thought to create it for my own house. Now that we have a cabin it seemed the perfect place for it since most of the slides were vacation destinations. (Plus there was a dark corner in the living room complete with the empty swag hooks.) So I bought a hanging lamp kit at Lowe's along with a pull chain socket and an 18" hoop and I went to work. If you don't want a big hanging lamp you can easily remake an existing shade over from a lamp you may already have and that way you don't have to worry about wiring anything correctly. (You can get the hoops to make a large shade like mine by clicking here.)

To make the shade I simply used my japanese screw punch to make holes in all 4 corners as well as the mid point on each side of the slides. I used 6mm jump rings to connect all of them row by row until I had 5 rows altogether. Once the shade was done I strung the wire through the hole in the top and connected it to the socket per the instructions on the packaging. (You will also need to buy a 3/4" nipple and a finial that has a hanging loop on the top of it.) I opened the last loop of the chain and connected it to the loop on the finial and plugged it in. (Thankfully it worked on the first try without exploding or popping a circuit breaker.)  I also used a larger decorative bulb like the kind you see on make-up mirrors so there would be less glare. 

Now I just have to figure out how to get it up-north on the next trip which is scheduled in February.