Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Sampling of Samples

As you can see today I am not posting any images for download. Instead I am posting a bunch of store samples that I recently completed for a local store that I teach at. (Stampeddler Plus Memories in Northville, Mi.) These aren't classes that I am teaching but samples for the store to showcase certain products. The first four samples are scrapbook pages for the store and the last 3 are just ones that I did to show my talents and are in a glass showcase at the back of the store. 



Click on the pictures to see a larger view. 
This page was to show how a mixed media artist can get as much stuff on a page as possible. Flowers, metal, resin pieces, rubber-stamping, stenciling, mica spray, punched borders, chipboard, ribbon, lace and pearls. 


This page was to showcase the intricate die cuts that are available. The large butterfly and the frame are 2 of them that I used from a company called Memory Box. The other butterflies are fussy cut from some paper and then colored with mica spray and then rubber stamped.



This page was to showcase the cute paper which is by Basic Grey called "What's Up". I basically used as many papers as I could by fussy cutting certain elements from each one to incorporate on the page. The airships are from one paper, the zig zag is from another, the flowers are from a third, the flags are from a fourth while the background paper and the photo mat are the fifth and sixth papers. I added some other paper flowers that I sprayed with mica and some metal gears to make a more feminine/cute version of steampunk. 



This was supposed to be a more simple type of layout showing some border punches and fabric flowers that the store carries. I also stamped with permanent ink on some clear acetate to make the swirled embellishments around the photo. 




 
This is a little scene that I did inside an old alarm clock case. I buy so many old clocks and watches to tear them apart for the gears that I have dozens of these lying around. I figured I may as well put them to good use by making something pretty. 


This is basically a chipboard mosaic that I did that measures about 6"x6". I used whatever I could to create texture on each tile with things like lace, embossed paper, german scrap, texture paste through a stencil, a paper die cut and some tatting. Once I glued these things to the tiles I painted all of them (except the 2 that have old book pages on them) then I antiqued them using some dark brown acrylic paint watered down and wiped off. I then added more little tzotchkes like a polymer clay face, charms, laser cut chipboard, a key, a postage stamp, a button, a small bottle, a piece of an old carpenters ruler, a subway token, hook-n-eyes, and some crystals. Rub a little gold wax paste over it and you're done. 




 I think this one is the one I am most proud of. I saw a similar project in the recent Clothe, Paper, Sissors magazine and wanted to do my own version. It is entirely made out of heavy book board except the wheels which  are made from wood. The round wheels I bought since I don't have a lathe to hand turn my own. (I have many tools but that is one I don't have. ) LOL!!! Anyways I may have bought the wheels but I had to mount them somehow so I made my own axles and joints to attach them to the bottom of the wagon. (AND... Yes the wheels role quite nicely!) The front facade was cut with a Tim Holtz die as well as the top fancy piece. (A Tim Holtz "On the edge" die.) I made the lion head at the top from polymer clay and the scroll work is a laser cut piece of chipboard. I made the door and the frame it sits in from chipboard and wood. The bars are mini bamboo skewers and the lights around the cage opening are real lightbulbs. (If only I could have figured out some way to make them actually light up.)  The bottom skirt of the cage is also die cut chipboard (Another Tim Holtz "On the Edge" die cut.) and the corners are pieces of german scrap.


Hope you liked this little page of samples and that they give you some wonderful ideas.